Sunday, March 30, 2014

When I Met Peace

As a Peace Corps volunteer in rural El Salvador two years ago, I received my education in resiliency, determination, and strength--a degree in peace. One of my greatest mentors was a young woman in my community named Paz Chicas. She was 16 when she joined my girls youth group "Club Cheras." The name Paz actually means "peace." Paz, my radiant friend and teacher became be an integral part of my definition of this concept. Paz taught me that peace is rarely a proverbial pool of quiet tranquility or some mossy green freedom from struggle. "Peace" is the fierce rising spirit inside us which soars up again and again and again, impervious to the fears, obstacles, and injustices cloaked upon us. Peace is dancing in that heavy coat, smiling--laughing even, with your face to the light because you know what you carry is nothing compared to what you ARE and what you are, beneath it all, is strength. I began to perceive peace as that internal fiery gold motion. Like any great teacher, Paz never told me any of this. She simply embodied it and with such natural grace. I am ever grateful for her wisdom. Paz and I are both avid writers. In her honor and with her permission I'd like to share a piece she recently wrote.

"Today I will face life with the conviction that this day will never return. Today I will challenge every obstacle that presents itself to me with the faith that I will overcome it. Today I will do every ordinary task with sublime expression. Today I will resist pessimism and conquer the world with a smile, positive attitude, always hoping for the best. Today I will have the audacity to let no opportunity pass me by, the only alternative is triumph. Today I will invest my time in transcendental works. Today I will have my feet on the ground understanding my reality and my gaze towards the stars, inventing my future. Today I will have time to be happy and leave my footprint and presence in the heart of others." -Paz Chicas

"Hoy me enfrentare a la vida con la conviccion d que este dia jamas volvera. Hoy desafiare cada obstaculo que se me presente con la fe d q vencere. Hoy hare d cada tarea ordinaria una expresion sublime.Hoy sere la resistencia al pesimismo y conquistare al mundo cn una sorisa,actitud positiva d esperar ciempre lo mejor.Hoy tendrd la audacia d no dejar pasar ninguna oportunida,mi unica alternativa es la d triunfar.Hoy invertire mi tiempo en las obras mas tracedentales.Hoy tendre los pies en la tierra comprendiendo la realidad y la mirada en las estrellas para inventar mi porvenir.Hoy tendre tiempo d ser feliz y dejare mi hueya y presencia en el corazon d los demas."


Stop looking for peace. Be peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment